Scientists study oil degrading enzymes found at oil spills - Green Chennai @ GreenExpo
Environmental Research and Innovation - Educational Institutions
Scientists study oil degrading enzymes found at oil spills
Chennai lab develops microbes to eat away oil spill
National Centre for Sustainable Coastal Management, Chennai has developed microbes that can disintegrate oil spill pollutants.
- The oil spills of January 2017 and November 2018 created a sudden change in the structure of the marine ecosystems, causing damage to organisms such as oysters, mussels, fish and turtles.
- Post the oil spills, there was a significant increase in the oil degrading enzymes at the site leading the scientists to study the role of microbes in utilizing the toxic petroleum compounds.
Type of News
- Treating oil spills with bacteria
- Microbes for waste water treatment
- Microbes to treat toxic waste
- How do microbes treat waste?
- How do oil spills affect oceans?
- Microbial remediation of waste water
- Potential of microbial treatment of oil spills in India